This is one dish my husband never says no to and I don’t blame him. This moussaka requires a little work but the result is so worth it!
It is warm and comforting, it only gets better in the next couple of days but we rarely get the chance to enjoy it this long because we keep coming back to the kitchen for seconds and maybe even thirds…
As the days are getting colder we seek extra comfort in foos and I am sure that this recipe can make your dinner ultimately cozy.
Our favorite scrumptious moussaka is best enjoyed with a side of white rice (check out my simple Fluffy Rice recipe) and plain yoghurt.
Our Favorite Scrumptious Moussaka
- 3 large eggplants
- 4 medium potatoes
- 500 gr beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 500 ml water
- vegetable oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Cut eggplants, potatoes and beef into same size cubes.
- Dice onion, mince garlic.
- Put eggplants in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 20-30 min, rinse, pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan on a medium high heat (use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan), fry eggplants in batches until golden brown on all sides. Place cooked eggplants on a paper towel to remove excess oil, transfer to a 20x30cm casserole dish.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if needed, transfer cubed beef to the pan, season with salt and pepper. Keep frying the beef stirring occasionally until most of the juices evaporated.
- Add onion and garlic to beef, fry until onion starts to soften.
- Add tomato paste to the pan, mix everything well and let the paste to heat through.
- Add water to the pan, stir well and bring to a boil. Simmer for a couple of minutes, taste, adjust seasoning and turn off.
- Add potatoes to the dish with eggplants, mix.
- Pour content of the pan carefully over eggplant-potato mix. Make sure all ingredients are spread in the casserole dish as evenly as possible.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, put into the preheated oven for about 60 minutes.
- Remove the foil cook for additional 20-30 minutes or until meat reached desired consistency.
- Serve warm with a side of rice and yoghurt.