I am not a sweet tooth, give me all your savory snacks and I will be happy. However, once in a while a crave something sweet and this craving is usually very specific. This time was no exception, I wanted Mandelhörnchen. It was quite late, all the bakeries were already closed and the ones that were still open had nothing but a couple of sad breads lying around. My craving was unstoppable, so on a rainy Tuesday evening, at about 9:31pm these beauties emerged from my oven…
I will most definitely try to perfect this recipe in the future, however, these turned out pretty darn good already.
If you want something sweet and looking for a new treat, these light and soft marzipan crescents might be just what you need.
Mandelhörnchen - Chocolate-Dipped Almond Marzipan Crescents
- 200gr marzipan
- 2 egg whites
- 80gr sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 50gr flour
- almond flakes for decoration
- 100gr semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cut marzipan into small pieces (you can even grate it) and mix with egg whites with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add sugar, salt, vanilla, mix well.
- Add flour, mix well.
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag with a large nozzle.
- Pipe out about eight crescents on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the crescents with almond flakes.
- Bake at 180C for about 15 minutes (or until golden brown). Let cool.
- Melt the chocolate, dip cooled crescents in chocolate and let them dry.