What if I told you that creating an explosion of flavors can be achieved in under 15 minutes? Well, with this Fried Rice recipe you are set for success my friend. There is only a couple of ingredients that you cannot do without, the rest depends on whatever you have on hand.
Your key ingredient here is day-old rice, yeah, you read it right. Freshly cooked rice will result in a soggy and mushy fried rice, whereas day-old rice is dryer and less starchy, getting the final fried rice texture where it needs to be.
Another step that brings a little extra flavor here is making sure that you char the vegetables, this means leaving them to cook undisturbed for just a couple of minutes. This will not only give them color but will intensify the flavor.
Next time you are cooking rice – make sure to cook extra, next time you are ordering a takeout – order an extra portion of rice. Don’t have time to use it up right away, freeze the rice and treat yourself to this recipe later.
The recipe comes together in a matter of minutes, so I highly recommend to have your mise en place game on for this one. Clean and chop the veggies, measure out the sauces and oils, get this going!
*This recipe would work with any combo of vegetables you have on hand, however, I highly recommend to always have scallions included.
**To add more protein you can include eggs, tofu, chicken, fish.
***Sprinkle with sesame seeds and extra scallions before serving.
Bombastic Fried Rice with Vegetables
- 1 cup day-old rice
- 1/2 small head of broccoli
- 1 carrot
- 1,5 cm piece of ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Wash and chop broccoli into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash carrot and scallions, cut crosswise.
- Peel and finely grate both ginger and garlic.
- Mix 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, grated ginger and grated garlic in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetable mix to the skillet, lightly season with salt, toss to coat in oil undisturbed for a couple of minutes until well charred.
- Mix the vegetables, let cook while tossing consistently for another couple of minutes.
- Transfer vegetables from the skillet to a bowl. *if adding any extra proteins – this is your cue to scramble some eggs or fry up some tofu/fish.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to the skillet. Add rice and soy sauce mixture. Mix well, spread evenly on the skillet, let it cook until the bottom side gets as much (or as little) crisp as you want it to be.
- Add the vegetables back to the skillet, mix everything well.
- Take off the heat, add 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, serve.